Another year is passing by so quickly, and I can’t believe Thanksgiving is already here! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, not just because I get to go home and see my family, but also because I can reflect on aspects of my life that I am thankful for. One thing that I have always felt lucky to have in my life is nature. The Earth is too often taken for granted, and it is important to take the time to realize how fortunate we are to have the world we’ve been given.
Here are some ways you can be both kind to the earth AND enjoy your holiday season:
• Traveling much? Be sure to inflate your tires – this will maximize your mileage and conserve gasoline
• Avoid paper plates and napkins – using the dishwasher is worth the saved paper
• Choose fresh food over canned – the process of canning uses an enormous amount of energy each year
• Invest in a roasting pan – thousands of tinfoil pans are thrown out each year after Thanksgiving; a real pan could last you a lifetime.
• Decorate with nature – instead of plastic decorations, get your inspiration from the great outdoors and bring a little bit of nature to the table
• Cut the plastic wrap – send guests home with and store your food in reusable containers
Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels!
Written by Teddi Shapiro, class of 2019