Why This is a Great Time to Educate Others About Sustainability

Transitioning to life at home for the rest of the semester has proved to be challenging. However, during those rare free times between academics, work, and family responsibilities, I’ve realized that being home has given me an opportunity to educate my friends and family about sustainability. Sure, providing tips and pointers through phone calls can be helpful, but a physical presence is very impactful. 

Whether it’s teaching my parents how to properly recycle or starting a DIY project from a “Sustainable Tip of The Week” article, I feel like my actions are actually making a difference. Additionally, many of these sustainable practices require repetition and reinforcement until they can become habits. 

Wondering how to make a difference and encourage others to do so as well? My advice is to start with yourself. Nobody enjoys being told what to do, but if you set a good example, chances are someone will notice and follow. If you bring a reusable tote bag to the store, others will see your choice to make a difference and may be more likely to do the same in the future.

Try to avoid negativity. For example, my parents seem to rely solely on single-use plastic water bottles. Instead of telling them all the detrimental effects of their actions, I try to focus on the positive side and inform them about the benefits of switching to a reusable water bottle. 

Complement others often. Changing habits can be difficult, but is easier when your actions are recognized. If you see someone picking up litter and placing it in the proper bin, a simple “thank you” can mean a lot. 

I am not saying that there is ever a “bad” time to think about our planet and our impact on it. However, I personally have been successful with spreading my sustainability knowledge after returning home. I hope this encourages you to do the same. 

Written by Emily Su, Class of 2022.