What is Freecycle.org?

Growing up as a kid, my mom and dad frequently used a website called freecycle.org. I never really knew what it was, but I started to care once my parents gave away some of my Legos on Freecycle!

All jokes aside, as I grew older, I began to understand more of the purpose behind Freecycle.  Admittedly, I’ve come to appreciate how clever some aspects of the website are.

Freecycle is an Internet-based service designed to help facilitate the exchange and discovery of reusable items. As the name of the site suggests, all items listed are completely complimentary. That means it’s a good stop if you are looking for an item free of charge.

The website is broken up into different communities, with each community representing a particular geographic region. Freecycle groups are local, meaning that exchanges benefit the cities, towns, and neighborhoods one spends their time in.

Aside from the economic and social advantages of using Freecycle, there exist environmental benefits as well. As the old saying goes, “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure,” and this is certainly true for Freecycle. Items picked up from a connection facilitated by Freecycle save them from a landfill or intensive recycling process. Freecycle gives commodities a new life that they might otherwise not have.

However, even when one cannot use Freecycle, she should always be thinking like Freecycle. By that, I mean considering the opportunities available for an item to be used, in lieu of instinctually throwing it away.  Freecycle might be an Internet-based service, but it should also be a way of life, to a certain extent.

Consider checking out Freecycle, and determine if it’s right for you!

Written by Dax Emerson, Class of 2021

Photo Credits: Sigmund on Unsplash

5 Replies to “What is Freecycle.org?”