10 Reasons to shop at a thrift store

When most people go shopping, they don’t automatically think to look in a thrift store first. Many people want to buy brand new items that have never been used or worn before. However, if you are trying to be sustainable and save some money, thrift stores are definitely for you.

Thrift stores are stores full of used items that are still in good condition. Many of the items found inside were donated. Since most thrift stores are non-profit, they can resell the items they receive for really cheap—which is great news for shoppers.

Despite popular belief, thrift stores sell much more than clothing. At most stores, you can find kitchen appliances, electronics, books, artwork, board games, toys, furniture, jewelry, shoes, and much more. Some even have Halloween costumes and seasonal decorations depending on the time of year. Everything you find in a thrift store is much cheaper than it would be even in a normal department store.

Buying from a thrift store not only saves you money, but it is extremely sustainable. Reusing items is always more ecofriendly than buying brand new ones. The reuse of items such as clothes, electronics, furniture, etc. decreases the amount of waste going to landfills and the number of new items that need to be created.

Not only can you buy items from thrift stores, you can also donate to them! Most thrift stores have a drop off area where you can drop off almost any unwanted items for free.

Written by Alyssa Lemire, Class of 2017

Photo thanks to Pixabay

35 Replies to “10 Reasons to shop at a thrift store”

1. We live in a world that is so hell-bent on consumerism and everything being owned from new, I sometimes wonder how the planet is going to continue to sustain such an approach.

2. This is very sustainable and useful for the environment. We are online thrift store clothes providing different variety of thrift clothes.

3. True. Not only that buying from a thrift store saves you money and is extremely sustainable but you can also help others as many thrift stores partners with charities and part of what you spend in there goes to a good cause.This is great information and I am fully agreed with your opinion. The shopping trend from second-hand clothes store should be promoted. This is very sustainable and useful for the environment. We are online thrift store clothes providing different variety of thrift clothes.

4. This is great information and I am fully agreed with your opinion. The shopping trend from second-hand clothes store should be promoted. This is very sustainable and useful for the environment. We are online thrift store clothes providing different variety of thrift clothes.

5. I agree with you Patricia because the world is going dirty day by day for this kind of wastage. But if we start shopping our necessary product at least 10% of our total product, then it will be very helpful for the human being.

6. I personally was shopping yesterday. I am having a party and wanted to put some flower arrangements out. I was at the Dollar Store and saw perfect vases for $1.00. Guess what I didn’t buy them. I realized that I would be supporting the consumerism you describe.

7. I couldn’t agree more Patricia.

Apart from the fact that picking up a bargain from a thrift store is actually enormously satisfying, recycling of goods is an incredibly powerful thing to do.

We live in a world that is so hell-bent on consumerism and everything being owned from new, I sometimes wonder how the planet is going to continue to sustain such an approach.

There is no doubt that if everyone cut down on the purchase of new items and went for ‘good as new’ used ones, the manufacturers would eventually have to take heed.

Thanks for a great article that covers so many of the positive aspect of using a thrift store, I hope some of the readers of this will try it if they haven’t before.