Perspectives by Mariah Greico

This semester I’m in a few classes that give me different perspectives on the environment. One of these classes is called Hydrology and Water Resources. I have been reading a lot about the topic of water because of this and just to further my own interest. I really think that it is important for people to be more educated on environmental issues, and water is no exception. This week I encourage you to stop at the library and pick up a book about water (or water scarcity or the ocean or whatever interests you). Here are a select few recent reads that may be a good starting point:

Drinking Water: A History by James Salzman

Professor Salzman actually visited the University of Rochester recently and gave two wonderful talks. His history on water is actually very engaging and he is a really cool person.

Water 4.0: The Past, Present, and Future of the World’s Most Vital Resource by David Sedlack

I read this one last year. It isn’t bad and it’s definitely worth checking out. It explains the revolutions in water systems that have changed our lives forever without us even realizing. It definitely forces you to step back and realize what it means to have such easy access to such a valuable resource.

Unquenchable: America’s Water Crisis and What To Do About It by Robert Glennon

I’m reading this one for hydrology now and I love it. It has a lot of style and goes all over the country to look at water issues and how to solve them.

Cadillac Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water

by Marc Reisner

Full disclosure: I’ve only watched the documentary on this one so far but I intend to read the book. It follows these two very interesting men with very different perspectives along the Colorado River as they decide what should be done with it.

Written by Mariah Greico, Class of 2018

Photo by Patricia Beaumont, September 25, 2015