Bzzzzzzzzzz! It’s that time of year and they’re out there again! Last summer I came across a couple of eco-friendly DIY pest control traps, both using materials we commonly have laying around at home. The best part is they don’t involve spraying yourself or your environment with pesticides. I haven’t tried either yet, but after getting mulitple misquito bites recently, I’ve got give this first one a try soon!
HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)
Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
HOMEMADE FRUIT FLY TRAP:
To eliminate fruit flies, you will need the following:
A little bowl and Apple cider vinegar and a drop of dish soap!
Fill the little bowl with apple cider vinegar so that the depth is approximately 1in/2.5cm. Drop 1 drop of any dish-washing liquid in.
Place the bowl(s) around your kitchen on the counter-top or under the sink, any where you sees fruit flies.
This trap will start working immediately. The flies will be attracted to the scent of the apple cider vinegar.