Visiting High Acres Landfill

Have you ever stopped to wonder about where your garbage ends up after you throw it away? Each summer, Waste Management holds open houses of its two local landfills as a way for the community to learn more about how the facilities are managed. In addition to offering tours, the open houses include informational booths, raffles, free food, and fun for all ages. Last week the UR recycling office joined the fun and visited High Acres Landfill in Perinton.

High Acres is not just a place where trash is buried and never thought of again. This facility, as well as the Mill Seat Landfill in Bergen (where UR’s trash ends up), has a renewable energy plant where methane gas is collected and converted into energy that is sold back to the national grid. Landfills must always deal with the issue of getting rid of methane and while most places burn it away, Waste Management has tapped into the concept of making it useful as electricity. Currently, enough energy is collected to power 9,000 homes. High Acres is in the process of applying for a permit to expand the operation so that more energy can be created.  

Waste Management works hard to incorporate natural wildlife habitats into its facilities. As scavengers, seagulls are naturally attracted to landfills and often become a nuisance. But, High Acres has introduced falcons which are birds of prey and in turn help keep the seagulls at bay (no pun intended).

For more information about this facility visit: http://www.highacreslandfill.com/.  If you are a UR student, you are welcome to join the fall tour of Mill Seat Landfill (details to follow). If you are a UR employee and would like to set up a landfill tour for your department or area, contact Amy Kadrie.

9 Replies to “Visiting High Acres Landfill”

1. Hi! Ӏ сould һave sworn I’ve visited this web site befoгe bᥙt
    after going thrоugh some off tһе articles ӏ realized it’s new to mе.
    Nonetheless, I’m definitelly pleased ӏ came across iit and I’ll
    bee book-marking it and checking bacк regularly!

2. ӏ am actually thankful tⲟ the owner оf this web site who һas shared tɦis fantastic
    paragraph at aat tһiѕ рlace.

3. Three business days- Thanks for this feedback. We will look into incompatibility issues. To help us troubleshoot this, can you please tell us what version of explorer you are using?

4. Hey, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, fantastic blog!

5. I adore this web site, I found merely the informacfion I needed, congratulations. I deliver a large hi there and that i will come back to this web site in the near future.

6. I am planning a tour of High Acres Landfill for the League of Women Voters and am asking if I can use the above article – giving you credit, of course – to describe the landfill in our newsletter. Jane