Student’s Corner

Thank you 

This is my last Student’s Corner article as an undergraduate here at the University of Rochester.  As I prepare to graduate, I am full of excitement for the future, but also reflective on the past four years at UR.  There are many thanks to go around.

First, I would like to thank the EcoReps program for being my introduction to co-curricular experiences in college.  I knew I wanted to be an EcoRep shortly after receiving the pamphlet in my admissions welcome package.  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn more about urban gardening, agriculture, and ecological awareness in the Rochester community, as well as the chance to teach the program itself my sophomore year.  To all those who helped along the way – from my friends, to advisors, and more – you know who you are. 

Speaking of which, I would also like to thank those community partners which helped to facilitate the numerous opportunities for EcoReps (as well as other ecologically-minded students).  I will always have fond memories of helping to build “food forests” at places like Joseph C. Wilson Magnet High School, and the Southwest Area Neighborhood Association (SWAN).  You guys are awesome, and truly help to make the Rochester community better.  

Of course, I would like to thank Facilities Team Green for giving me the opportunity to work alongside wonderful people and connect with a diverse body of students, faculty, and staff.  The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has made some things difficult (and certainly unorthodox) with regards to the planning and implementation of events, but getting over those obstacles has been easier together.  To Amy, Kelly, and Emily – thank you!

This fall, I will be pursuing a Masters in Management (MiM) at Temple University, Japan Campus.  I cannot wait to use much of what I’ve learned at UR in that program, not to mention in my future career more generally.  I am not sure where exactly life will take me, but I am more confident in the position I’m currently in thanks to those who’ve helped guide me.  

There is still much work to be done; it’s only just begun.    

Written by Dax Emerson, Class of 2021

Photo by Dušan Veverkolog on Unsplash