Eco-Friendly New Year’s Resolutions
2021 is finally here and while many of us think about what this new year will have in store for us, let’s not forget about the classic New Year’s resolutions. What comes to mind when you think about resolutions? Do you think about losing the quarantine 15 or starting a healthy habit?
In addition to exercise and health resolutions, there are ways to implement sustainable practices into your goals too.
Although all goals are valid, it is important to break them down into smaller, achievable steps. This allows you to celebrate the small accomplishments and keep yourself motivated. While it may be tempting to change many aspects of your life at the same time, remember that consistency is the key to sustainable change. Try accomplishing one goal at a time and use the sense of accomplishment as motivation to keep going.
Last year, I wrote a Student’s Corner post with resolution ideas that could positively impact the environment and your lifestyle. While most of these goals are still valid, I’ve decided to add a few. Feel free to share your eco-friendly resolutions in the comments!
- Utilize reusable shopping bags
- Purchase local foods
- Start a compost pile
- Opt for paperless bank and bill statements
- Use natural cleaning products
- Try indoor gardening
- Use the dishwasher instead of handwashing
- Eat more plants and veggies
- Unplug and turn off electronics 1 hour before bedtime
- Use natural soaps, skincare, and dental care products
- Shop at thrift stores
- Try a DIY project every month to repurpose items
- Utilize a more eco-friendly transportation method like bicycles or public transportation
- Educate others on sustainability
- Read/listen to environmental and climate books
- Read Green Dandelion Posts every week
- Follow environmental social media accounts like @URSustainable
Written by Emily Su, Class of 2022