Upcycle Empty Pill Bottles

Did you know about 70% of Americans take at least one prescription drug, and more than 50% take two? These translucent orange containers are often taken for granted and end up in a landfill. Many households have drawers filled with medicine containers, but did you know they can be pretty useful? Because they are originally meant to store pills, these bottles are waterproof and are good at keeping dust away from their contents.

Here are some ways you can upcycle empty pill bottles whether you need extra storage or are traveling lightly. Just be sure to clean and dry the containers before you reuse them.

Daily Storage:

• Loose Change
  • Earbuds
  • Matches
  • Safety Pins
  • Hair Ties
  • Bobby Pins
  • Buttons
  • Slime, Clay, Play Dough
  • Dog treats: take fido’s treats with you on a walk or use the bottles to store them in your car
  • Office Supplies (paper clips, thumbtacks, small binder clips, eraser tops, rubber bands, staples)
  • Key: hide a spare key to your home or car by storing them in a bottle and hiding them in your garden

Travel:

• Shampoo/Conditioner/Moisturizer: create your own travel size soap bottle
  • Cotton Swabs: pill bottles are the perfect size for cotton swab storage when you’re traveling
  • Vitamins: pack your vitamins in this smaller container
  • Sewing Kit: fill the bottle with safety pins, buttons, needles, and thread
  • First Aid Kit: create your own kit and label the bottle
  • Jewelry: avoid a tangled pile of necklaces by storing them in their own containers

Written by Emily Su, Class of 2022.

Photo Credit: Trust Council

48 Replies to “Upcycle Empty Pill Bottles”

1. The artistic style of sharing information had kept me bound throughout the blog. I would like to thank the writer for sharing such amazing and informative content with us and will share it with my friends and family members. I also request the writer to keep sharing such interesting content with us.

2. Wow, thanks for this useful information as world is moving towards sustainable development. Upcycling could be a better version of recycling.

3. The artistic style of sharing information had kept me bound throughout the blog. I would like to thank the writer for sharing such amazing and informative content with us and will share it with my friends and family members. I also request the writer to keep sharing such interesting content with us.