Before I went vegan, I used to love eating tuna sandwiches. My mother would add just the right amount of salt, pepper, dill, and celery. It was one of my favorite dishes she would make, but now that I’m away in college – and vegan – I can no longer enjoy it. So giving into my cravings a little while ago, I set out to find a recipe that could possibly rival my mothers, and I found it!
- 1 can chickpeas (drained, rinsed, and smushed)
- ½ cup celery and leaves, chopped
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup vegan mayo, mashed avocado or hummus
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp garlic powder or minced garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, diced – optional
- Salt, pepper
- Bread or wrap of your choice
Personally, I prefer to add about half the amount of celery and also chop it finely. I recommend using the vegan mayo to get the full effect of a tuna sandwich.
Let us know if you try out this recipe or if you have any vegan versions of your favorite sandwiches!
Go green with Dining Team Green! Want more information on sustainability in dining? Follow us on facebook, instagram, and twitter @ursustainable. We’d love to hear from you! Contact us at email@example.com.
Guest Post written by Nic Hesse, Dining Team Green Marketing Inter, Class of 2019