Student’s Corner

As a prospective mechanical engineer, most of my courses involve hardcore physics and tons of calculations. Last semester, I added a creative touch to my schedule by taking DMS 103, an introductory course to photography, videography, vector illustration and 3D modeling. From day one, the instructor explained that design goes beyond visuals and is often used to address social issues. For instance, some artists are politically engaged and certain photographers denounce inhumane practices in remote regions of the world. For the DMS course, every student had to address a specific topic under the overall theme of “Can good design change the world?” After days of brainstorming, I gravitated toward the food industry.

The processed food industry has been around for decades and is, according to independent studies, the direct cause of obesity and many deadly cardiovascular diseases. Despite the scientific evidence, a surprisingly large number of people are still consuming unhealthy products, possibly because of a lack of knowledge or overexposure to misleading advertisements. For this reason, I felt the need to encourage people (myself included) to eat healthier and chose to “improve food consumption and public health through design” as my personal topic.

Throughout the semester, my digital creations were consistent with food consumption theme. I either exposed the harms of processed food or presented the benefits of natural food in visually appealing pieces. As part of the course requirement, I created an online portfolio where I showcase my different artworks. Feel free to check it out!

My beloved DMS class is over, but I’m taking a step further in advocating for natural food. This semester, I’m writing a series of articles on keeping a healthy diet with practical tips tailored to our campus. So, stay tuned and I’ll catch you in the next one!

Written by Kelly Jean, Class of 2021