A couple years back, I bought reusable bamboo utensils, and it was one of the best decisions of my life.

Take a second and think about every time you’re in a cafeteria, fast-food restaurant, or somewhere along those lines. You get your food, and then you go over to the condiments area for your ketchup, mustard, salt, sugar, hot sauce, and — plastic cutlery.

You realize that you don’t have a spoon or fork or knife with you, which sucks because you watched that video where the turtle has a straw up its nose and it made you realize how horrible single-use plastic is. But you’re in a bind because you’re not going to eat your Chipotle burrito bowl with your hands (or maybe you will, I’m not here to judge), so you grab a fork and say “hey, next time I’ll remember my own utensils.”

This was always me, until I ordered this bamboo travel utensils kit. It’s super handy, coming with a spoon, fork, knife, and chopsticks. The case is made of recycled plastic bottles, and it also has a little carabiner so you can clip it to something.

Granted, I totally could have grabbed all of the same utensils from my kitchen and just kept those in a bag. This is what worked for me though, and to each their own!

Whether you go the bamboo kit or kitchen sink route, I 10000/10 recommend saying no to plastic utensils today. The current big green movement is the ban on plastic straws, but really we should be saying no to all single-use plastic, one plastic bottle/straw/fork/spoon/knife at a time.

Featured image courtesy of this To-Go Ware Review.

Written by Teddi Shapiro, class of 2019