Come spring semester, I will be trading the frigid climate of Rochester, New York, for that of the more temperate Siena, Italy. Since I will be doing a lot of traveling, I’ve been thinking of ways to do so whilst having as small of an impact as possible. Here are some that I’ve come up with:
- Book non-stop flights when available (+ use carbon offset programs)
- Avoid planes and use trains/public transportation when possible
- Bring a reusable water bottle everywhere to avoid using plastic
- Buy fresh and in-season foods to cook with, from local markets
- Pack light and buy light; don’t take or purchase more than needed!
Hopefully, I will continue to learn ways to travel more sustainably as I go, and will come back full of tips and tricks to share!
Written by Teddi Shapiro, class of 2019