Student’s Corner

Bonus tip: I use coconut oil as a lubricant instead of shaving cream to keep my legs soft and moisturized.

Hey, guys! I’m back for senior year and I’m better than ever. I even shaved my legs for this!

Okay, so I have struggled over all of the years that I have been shaving with how wasteful disposable razors are. Sure, the more expensive ones last a little longer, but even those will meet their end after a few short weeks and then it’s time to throw them away and dole out more cash for new ones.

Let’s look at it this way: I’ll probably be shaving my legs for about 40 years of my life, and I go though about 2 disposable razors per month. In my (shaving) lifetime, that would be 960 razors that I throw away. Even if I buy really crappy razors that’s still almost $2000 in just razors alone.

All right, I know it’s a societal thing to be bothered by body hair and it would be ultra-sustainable if I just didn’t shave at all, but that’s not what this article is. I enjoy having shaved legs, at least some of the time, and I do it for me. It’s not something I intend to give up completely any time soon.

So here’s what I tried and will now suggest to you as an alternative to disposable razors: I have been using a safety razor. The one that link goes to costs less than $10 and includes 10 razor blades, and there are a million other ones just like it at a similar price point. They’re awesome and I don’t know why I didn’t make the switch before. The best part about them is that they last basically forever if you take enough care of them (basically just keep it clean and dry when you’re not using it) and you only have to replace the razor blades. This cuts down significantly on waste and on costs. You can usually get 100 blades for less than $10, which if you do the math means that you can get a lifetime supply of shaving gear for just over $100. That’s a pretty significant change in my book.

The experience of shaving with a safety razor was an easy one, and it was actually kind of fun. It’s surprisingly easy to change the blade, which was the part that worried me most. I was able to do it in less than thirty seconds. I also felt like it was a lot easier to clean than a disposable razor because you can easily disassemble it and give it a good rinse. Shaving was pretty much the same as normal. Overall, I definitely recommend looking into it and switching over. Your legs (or whatever you want to shave), your wallet, and the earth will all be happy that you did.

There were scary moments along the way, but my legs were baby-smooth at the end.

Written by Mariah Greico, Class of 2018