The 5 things you need to know on how to pack for Study Abroad

Recently, I’ve been thinking about packing for my semester in Spain, and I’ve decided to bring only one suitcase. This means I will be drastically downsizing my wardrobe, which actually makes me really excited. I think that instead of becoming less fashionable, I will actually have a much more defined and consistent style with less clothing in my possession. I have been thinking strategically about exactly what clothing items are essential, which I need multiples of, and how I can mix and match. From my short, yet careful, speculation I have compiled a quick list of tips for picking out an essential list of clothing items, so you can be fashionable without buying all of the extra clothes and eventually letting them waste away (probably in the back of your closet).

• Figure out what you define as your style and look at what you already own.

Do you wear a lot of neutral tones or do you prefer more color? Do you tend to dress more casually, or do you always dress up? What is your favorite outfit that you would wear every day if you could? Work from there.

• If you haven’t worn it in years, or it doesn’t fit you, get rid of it.

Sell it or donate it, but it is useless for you to keep it, especially when someone else can benefit from it. You can even upcycle it! I’m currently working on making a blanket from all of the t-shirts I got my freshman year. Don’t throw it out if it can be upcycled by you or someone else.

• When considering buying new clothes, decide whether or not you actually need it.

Do you already have something similar? Is it just a fad that will no longer be popular in the near future? Will you actually wear it? Just because it is on sale does not mean it is a good investment.

• When you do buy new clothes, buy clothes that will last.

Don’t buy clothes that will fall apart after a few washes (ahem, “Forever” 21). While they may seem cheaper at first, they will ultimately end up costing you just as much when you have to replace them. With that, buy clothes that can be used in multiple outfits and that are timeless.

• Mix and Match!

I’ve been working mostly with black and grey in my recent outfit choices and it’s fabulous. I have a grey cardigan that goes with everything and a black shirt or black pants will never steer you wrong. It’s also super easy to add in any piece as a pop of color if you want. I recommend choosing pieces that can be worn with more than two outfits.

There is so much you can do to make your wardrobe more sustainable and this is just the beginning! What about you guys? Do you have any tips for sustainable fashion? Let us know in the comments.

Written by Mariah Greico, Class of 2018

Image by Karen Arnold / www