Today’s post will be a short one, as I have just one simple point that I would like to get across: be a leader. At the University of Rochester, leadership is one of the most highly valued qualities, whether it be scholastic leadership, extra-curricular leadership, campus leadership, etc. So today, I am encouraging you to take simple steps to be a leader in recycling and sustainability.

As a member of Facilities Team Green, I’m familiar with all of the rules and requirement surrounding recyclables on our campus, and often see someone throw something out that could be recycled, or put a non-recyclable in the recycling. During the first few months of my time on the team, I did nothing but painfully watch on. However, I soon realized that it was within my own power to help the people around me improve their recycling habits. I’m here to tell you that it’s within your power too.

Familiarize yourself with what is and isn’t recyclable on our campus. And don’t be afraid to share what you know! If you see a friend about to throw out a cold cup from Starbucks, let them know that by simply removing the straw, they can recycle it. I understand not wanting to be “that person” who’s always talking about recycling, but a few words and gentle reminders can do so much more good than harm.

So next time you see the opportunity arise, become a leader – take a stand, even a small stand, for recycling.

Written by Ciara McGillivray, class of 2018

2 Replies to “Student’s Corner”

1. Ciara, you made this informative post really expiring!As important community institutions, colleges and universities can serve as effective role models of how large organizations can reduce waste and conserve resources