It has been such a great honor working with the facilities team over the past year. I have learned so much about the importance of sustainability, as well as the many benefits of working with some of the kindest and most caring people Rochester has to offer. But the best part of my time here was hearing all of the feedback and efforts raised by the UR population in general. Environmental sustainability is one of the greatest concerns of this century, and it is absolutely incredible to witness the countless of UR students who actually care about the environment around us. Though this work can be hard at times, it never feels like a thankless job, because of the impact that I see facilities has on the UR community, and vice versa.

All of the different events that we planned and participated during the course of the past year: Recyclemania, Game Day Challenge, Recycle the Runway, and countless of others have been such a success due to the amazing students of the UR who give us a reason and motivation to actually carry them out. You are the reason that these events are successful, and it is extraordinary to see how many members of the UR community care about recycling, environmental sustainability, and all of the other aspects of environmental awareness that are necessary for sustainability.

Though I will not be able to continue with my position, I know that department is in safe hands, due to the amazing community we have around us who care so adamantly about the environment. I know that I will still be able to contribute to the many incredible and important events that the department will organize, and I cannot wait to see what they have in store for the future.

Written by Linda Shackles, Class of 2017