Haunting the minds of millions of people around the globe, environmental problems are today very crucial in our society. Many international organizations have undertaken various projects to help to mitigate the degradation of the environment. Here are five of them:
- World Wide Fund for Nature has been involved in the protection of our planet for fifty years. Considered as the world’s largest conservation organization, its global scale actions include the protection of the world’s most important forests and species, safeguard of marine livelihoods, and contribution to a climate-resilient and zero-carbon world.
- Rainforest Alliance is dedicated to conserving biodiversity and ensuring sustainable livelihoods.
- Greenpeace: With over 40 years of experience, Greenpeace defends the natural world by denouncing environmental abuse. Its fierce dedication has influenced positively a number of private and public corporations.
- Save The Elephants: As suggested by its name, this organization protects elephants where they are usually hunted for their ivory tusks.
- Forest Stewardship Council focuses on promoting responsible forest management. Its wood products label is recognized around the world as eco-friendly. Next time you need a notebook, buy a FSC certified one to support its effort.
This list not being exhaustive, the people who are fighting for a greener planet are more numerous than you could imagine. Also, we hope that the actions of these organizations will inspire you to change your lifestyle in a more ecological way.
Written by Kelly Jean, Class of 2021