Getting around without a car

I didn’t get my license until I was 19, which really isn’t that old, but it felt late with most of my friends claiming the road and leaving me feeling stuck. It took me that long because I’d never really had the time to practice driving nor the means to a car, so I waited until recently to take my road test. Honestly, I still have almost no need for it. Now, I can drive a Gem Car at work and I don’t have to pay as much to go go-karting, but I still don’t need a car of my own. There are so many better options at my disposal that require less maintenance and, more importantly, less money:

• Walking. This is obvious, but it is a really healthy way to get around if you don’t have to travel long distances to commute. This is a great option for city-dwellers and the only major cost is time, though it is a great time to reflect or to listen to your favorite music or podcasts.
  • Biking. This one isn’t as inexpensive as walking, but it certainly beats the expense of a car. This one works for longer distances than walking and requires less time. It’s a great way to get your workout in.
  • Taking the bus. UR Transit and RTS in Rochester are both quite reliable and inexpensive. It’s easy to navigate and you can meet lovely people on your commute.
  • Carpooling or ridesharing. If you must drive due to distance or inaccessible public transportation options, remember that you don’t need to have your own car. Splitting the ride with others going in the same direction or using services like Lyft can save you a lot of money and can also be a wonderful way to connect with people.

Written by Mariah Greico, Class of 2018

Photo source: here.