With the end of summer on the horizon (a moment of silence please), I’ve realized that there is so much I wanted to do before classes started that I haven’t had the chance to do. I haven’t even made it to the beach yet!

We all make bucket lists or set goals that we never complete, but August is still young! There’s plenty of time to get out there and enjoy the summer before classes begin. Below are a few ideas about how to kick off the end of your summer:

1. Hit the water – Ocean, lake, river, whatever you’re feeling! Get out there, get swimming, and have a good time.
  2. Start a garden – if its small enough, you could move it inside when the cold sets in. My housemates have a few potted plants and herbs outside that are both beautiful and delicious!
  3. Have a BBQ – fire up the grill for one last time, if not the first time (oops) before the summer ends.
  4. Get out in nature – go for a hike or go camping, while the sun is still shining. Breathe in some fresh air, get a little muddy (or a lot muddy), and enjoy the great outdoors.
  5. Cut down – give the house a good clean, and get rid of everything you don’t need! Perfect to minimize before the cold months set in and the work load picks up. Also a great time to look at sustainable alternatives to your every day items!
  6. Hammock – spend the day outside under the shade of a tree in a hammock. Unwind and unplug with good friends or a good book.

And now to write my fall semester goals…

Written by Teddi Shapiro, class of 2019