For my last exploration of sustainable cities, I am returning to Rochester just in time for some nice weather! I was interested in what efforts the city of Rochester was engaging in to become more green.

The City of Rochester created an Office of Energy and Sustainability within the Division of Environment Quality. Their goal is to “make the City of Rochester a model for innovative, ecologically sustainable operations, policies and practices, and connect the City with regional and national sustainability resources.” There have been many projects meant to create a greener Rochester, but I’ll only be highlighting a handful!

The Office of Energy and Sustainability has committed to greener transportation by adding alternative fuel vehicles to the City fleet. Additionally, they had over 10,000 volunteer for “Clean Sweep” who collected thousands of tons of debris. Those of you on the University of Rochester campus have probably noticed Zagster bike share stations by Brooks Crossing. This is a green initiative to emphasize biking as an healthy and sustainable transportation choice. Lastly, for a true foodie like me, I am happy to report that Rochester’s Public Market is a green initiative meant to promote local produce and businesses. I think I’m going to use this article as an excuse to do a bit of “research”.

It seems that I didn’t need to “travel” all across Europe to find cities leading the way in sustainability, there was one right in front of me. I am proud to live in Rochester and experience these green innovations firsthand!

If you are interested in more of Rochester’s sustainability projects go to: http://www.cityofrochester.gov/green/

Written by Emma Briggs, Class of 2018

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons