I’ve decided to take a quick break from my imaginative travel to Europe’s most sustainable cities on this lovely snow day. When it snows in Rochester, it feels like the perfect day to not leave your apartment and hibernate. Here are some sustainable tips for what to do on a snow day:

1. If you want to cozy up with your favorite book, try to buy from a secondhand bookstore or have a friend lend you something they loved reading!
  2. Skip the coffee cup from Starbucks and invest in some reusable coffee mugs to keep in your apartment! Then you don’t even have to leave your home for a coffee fix, double win!
  3. I often use lazy days as a way to play catch up on some cleaning. Take 15 minutes to do the cleaning you said you’d do two weeks ago! Some of my favorite sustainable cleaning brands are Mrs. Meyer’s and Method!
  4. Try watching a sustainability themed documentary, like An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power! If you don’t feel like watching it today, you should come to our RecycleMania event showing of the documentary tomorrow night in Hoyt at 8pm!

I hope everyone is staying warm out there today! I hope I’ve convinced you that the best way to spend a snowy Rochester day is cuddled up with a reusable coffee mug and a secondhand book!

Written by Emma Briggs, Class of 2018

Photo: Wiki Commons