Student’s Corner

For my next sustainable city, I chose Vienna, as I’ve been listening to lots of Billy Joel lately! Whether you are walking next to the beautiful Danube River or fantasizing about your life as a royal at Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna presents a gorgeous, green landscape.

While walking around, it is unusual to walk more than a block without seeing a patch of green. In fact, Vienna boasts that more than half of the metropolitan area is made up of green spaces. However, if you don’t want to walk, Vienna offers a myriad of alternative green option. You can bike, there are 1,500 kilometers of bike paths throughout the city.  Also, you can dial a special number to be connected with Green Taxis, there are about 370 cars throughout the city equipped with eco-friendly amenities.

During a weekend in Vienna, I was overcome by all the beautiful flowers that accompanied scenic parks and gardens. This is due to the 200 million bees that buzz around the city during the warmer months. There are over 5,000 bee colonies throughout the city that are kept up by Stadt-Imker or “urban beekeepers”. Not only do the bees keep Vienna beautiful, they also employ over 600 people to care and monitor them!

I think we could all take a few tips from Vienna in the way of sustainability, a truly beautiful city with an eco-friendly mindset!

Written by Emma Briggs, Class of 2018

Photo: PxHere