If you’re like me, the moment the clock strikes midnight and it becomes December I’m officially in Christmas mode. I’ve crafted a master Christmas playlist and my free time is spent cruising the internet for the perfect gifts for my family and friends. I’m not going to lie, I basically run downstairs on Christmas morning to open present with about the same enthusiasm I had when I was five. Within moments, I’m surrounded by ripped wrapping paper. But that begs the question, is there a more sustainable way I could be celebrating Christmas?

Each year in the U.S. alone trash from gift wrapping and shopping bags totals four million tons.  Here are some ways we can cut down this holiday season!

1. Reuse! Use sticker tags on gift bags so that you can use them year after year. Reuse ribbons and bows. This will not only help the environment, you can save yourself some money!

2. Use electronic cards! In the age of constantly evolving technology opt to send out an e-card this holiday season rather than paper cards. Studies show that if we each sent one less card, we’d save 50,000 cubic yards of paper.

3. Repurpose old newspaper as gift wrap. It can look really cool and rustic, especially if you use a holiday section.

4. Turn off your holiday lights during the day! Leaving on lights all day is such a waste of energy and you can barely even see that they’re on! The same goes for yard decorations if you have them.

5. Stop wasting leftovers! Personally, I don’t need any extra incentive to eat more during the holidays; so chow down or freeze your leftovers for a later date!

Image Source: Pexels

Written by Emma Briggs, Class of 2018