How to find good food options on campus

This week’s #STOTW

One of the great things about our campus is all of the options available for food #urdining. There’s Douglass, Danforth, the Pit (or The Commons, if you will), Hillside, Connections, Starbucks, and Pura Vida. I’m certainly missing things, which is really just incredible. Even with so many options, it can sometimes be difficult to find foods that are healthy for your body and for the environment. Luckily, these two things tend to go hand-in-hand. Plant-based diets are generally better for the environment, and when done correctly can have positive health effects. You don’t have to cut out meat entirely, especially if you don’t replace it with another form of protein, but it can be very healthy and sustainable to cut back a bit. I have been cutting back my meat intake for a while now and I am currently down to about 1-2 portions per week (usually chicken only). It isn’t hard to do and the social benefits are worth it (sorry, I just got out of an econ test).

Since last year’s norovirus outbreak, I have been making my own salads with ingredients from Hillside because the pre-made salads at the Pit just weren’t doing it for me. Honestly this has been so much better and it actually quite cost effective as well. I get a bag of spinach (this lasts me at least two or three salads), some sort of berry (I have been keen on strawberries lately), olive oil, lemon juice, yogurt (for protein), and sometimes avocado (okay, now avocados aren’t the most sustainable, but some days I just can’t resist and it’s a great way to get really healthy fats). It may seem like an expensive salad when you check out, but it will last you multiple meals and you get to choose exactly what you want on it. Also, it is probably one of the simplest things to prepare and your friends will be jealous (anecdote: I had lunch with two of my friends a few days ago; I had my salad and they both had burritos and chicken, but they were both drooling over my salad so I gave them each some because I had food to spare because health, budgeting, and sustainability can actually coexist).

If you want to go to a dining hall, do it! Both have lots of fruit and veggie options, as well as prepared vegan and vegetarian meals. You can try Meatless Monday at Douglass, which I think is usually pretty good, even as a meat-eater. Grab-n-go also has some pretty decent salads, but perhaps avoid the soda and the cookie and opt for your reusable water bottle and fruit. Soups can be a good option at Connections and Pura Vida, and I believe they always have vegetarian options as well.

Ultimately, listen to your body and do your research. Know the amount of fat, protein, and carbs you should be taking in and make sure you’re getting them. Also, find out what kinds of foods are unsustainable and try to avoid them. Don’t be afraid to indulge every once in a while, whether that means having a big old burger, or just enjoying a couple of doughnuts. Love your body and love the earth.

Written by Mariah Greico, Class of 2018

Image source: https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3332/3626891105_1ef7221107_b.jpg

3 Replies to “How to find good food options on campus”

1. Raminder, thanks for your feedback! Though everyone’s dietary needs are different, we encourage plant-based diets for a healthier planet and body!

2. So interesting topic, i am pure Vegetarian, so i love it.
    It has a high quality minerals that gives us energy to fight with the diseases. we should include this food in our diet that will change way of leaving of your life.
    Keep updating.