Student’s Corner

As a freshman first hearing the University’s motto, “Meliora,”  I had no idea just how many initiatives I’d see channeling that sentiment. Reflecting upon my past four years here, I’m truly in awe of all of the actions, large and small, working to make this world ever better. This semester especially, I’ve come to really appreciate my time as a Facilities Team Green member.

Yes, I’m from Colorado and yes I studied abroad in Thailand, but before I became a sustainability writing intern, not once did I scream from the top of Rush Rhees about how much I love this planet. Part of me thinks now’s the time, BUT another part of me thinks the fact that I haven’t done so is really okay. I don’t have to be screaming from the rooftops to make an impact. I don’t have to wear all of my causes on my sleeve to make it clear that I care. I just have to do my part by learning more about how I can be most effective. I can do my part by sharing a sustainability tip with a friend. Facilities Team Green has allowed me to realize this.

Reflecting on my semester as a sustainability writing intern, I’ve really valued the information I’ve obtained. I’ve expanded my knowledge of University initiatives and the many steps I  can take as an individual to make sure we treat this earth, the planet that sustains life, in a more respectful manner. I’ve also been able to interact with individuals who truly care about the state of the earth and our role in bettering it. For this, I am grateful.

At this University, among the scientific breakthroughs, protests, discussions, curriculum changes, and initiatives, there’s a recognition that, as human beings, we still have strides to go in order to make this world a better place. It’s truly been great seeing individuals continually push beyond the status quo. Meliora.

Written by Darya Nicol, class of 2016