Student’s Corner

Guys, the weather is starting to get really nice! We all know it won’t last for long, but you should take advantage of it while you can. This month, you should go on a green getaway. What does that mean? Well, anything, really. Yesterday I spent two hours chilling in a hammock and enjoying the beautiful weather. Yep, I’d say that counts. You could go to GVP or Corbett’s Glen Nature Park (both of which I have plans to visit this weekend). You could even go up to the lake if you want and walk along the pier or put your toes in the sand.

I think something that keeps me really invested in sustainability is a feeling of connection with nature. Yes, yes, call me a hippie, but I really think there is some truth in this. If you want a reason to sustain our planet, then go experience it! See all of the beauty that exists in the trees and the grass and the water. Take a mental break from all the stresses around you. It doesn’t have to be for an entire weekend or even for an entire day. Sometimes, just a nice walk in the park will do it. It is good for your mind, body, and spirit.

That’s it. I’m going to keep it short and simple. You don’t have to clean up all of the parks or plant new trees, at least not yet. All I challenge you to do for now is to connect or reconnect with nature. Smell the smells and see the sights. You will feel better when you do. Peace (because I’m a hippie).

Written by Mariah Greico, Class of 2018