Student’s Corner

Hey, folks. I hope you all had a pleasant Thanksgiving. Today I’m going to talk about some really cool emerging technologies that can be good for the environment. They range from small ideas, to sweeping technologies, but each of them has the potential to make a big impact.

The cardboard bicycle. This one circulated around the interwebs a few years ago, and I’m not sure if it’s come into fruition or not, but I do know that we need more inexpensive and useful technologies like this one around as soon as possible.

Heat-mapping technology. This can be used to improve agriculture and increase crop yields. It’s also gorgeous. 

A carbon-negative power plant. Okay, so this one is still extremely expensive, but it’s fantastic that the idea is out there and if enough thought and effort is put into technologies like this one, then we will be able to do some really amazing things in the near future.

Here are a few more for your own edification if you find these innovations even somewhat interesting.

All we really need is more people to support technologies like these and continue innovating to make even better (or more inexpensive) ones.

Written by Mariah Greico, Class of 2018