Student’s Corner

Photo: Trunk ArchiveAs a self titled product junkie, I love my makeup, skin care, and nearly anything beauty related. Lately though, I have become more conscious of the products that I purchase and the effect they have on the environment and my health. I switched to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, cruelty-free and animal friendly makeup (for a comprehensive list of cruelty free brands, I suggest taking a look at this site), and organic, all natural soap.

One thing that I didn’t realize, however, was how the little exfoliating beads found in some beauty products are hurting the environment. Currently, the Great Lakes alone are filled with up to 1.7 million plastic particles per square mile, according to Time magazine. That’s because the little beads cannot be filtered out during sewage treatment, which means they turn up in our lakes in oceans for sea creatures to ingest.

So when you’re out on your next beauty binge, skip the artificial exfoliants and look for natural ones instead, such as nutshell powder or sugar. Or, there’s always the old fashion exfoliation – manual. Use a washcloth or loofah next time you feel the need to rub your skin raw.

What are some of your favorite, environmentally friendly beauty products? Comment below!

Written by Lauren Henry, class of 2014

3 Comments on “Student’s Corner

1. It’s actually very complex in this active life to listen news on Television, therefore I just
    use internet for that reason, and take the hottest information.

2. Keep up the superb piece of work, I read few articles on this internet site and I think that your blog is very interesting and contains circles of superb info.