Calling all students who are passionate about sustainability and eager to engage in outreach opportunities! SustainUs, a
sustainable development organization, is looking for ambitious young people to apply for a new advocacy fellowship called Climate Action Lab. See their notice below for details:
SustainUS[sustainus.org] is recruiting Spring and Summer Fellows for a new national initiative, Climate Action Lab[sustainus.org]. The idea is simple: get a bunch of smart climate activists together and let them take it from there. You’ll live in a house with other activists, campaign for strong EPA carbon standards, and help to grow the Climate Action Lab into a sustainable program. SustainUS is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive team, and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds and experiences.
What We Offer
– A chance to slash US emissions and build the political will needed for global climate action
– An intensive, fast-paced environment to build skills and learn campaign development
– Housing and meals in a shared group house with other Fellows; modest travel and living stipends
– A safe and intentional space to live, work, and build an inclusive community
Tasks & Responsibilities
– Collaboratively design and run a campaign, including fieldwork, media, lobbying, and direct actions
– Facilitate a stronger, inclusive climate movement through outreach and coalition-building
– Manage data and campaign analytics to drive the initiative’s development
– Analyze and research policy options regarding the Clean Air Act 111(d) carbon regulations
– Develop the Climate Action Lab program for further iterations (programming, recruitment, fundraising)
No specific education or work experience requirements.
– Commitment to social and environmental justice, and anti-oppressive principles
– Ability to work closely on collaborative teams
– Interest in cooperative living
– Ability to handle stressful situations and deal with conflict appropriately and constructively
– Flexibility to adjust to changing work schedule, responsibilities, and conditions
Desired Skills & Experience
We’re looking for candidates with at least one of the following skills.
– Community or campus organizing and/or leadership
– Organizing creative and effective direct actions
– Political or issue advocacy campaigning, including field work and volunteer management
– Communications: storytelling and/or traditional (“earned”) and social media
– Graphic design and video editing
– Campaign metrics and analytics; campaign platforms such as VAN, Salsa, or NationBuilder
– Entrepreneurial ventures, social startups, and innovative thinking
– Fundraising and grant writing
– Knowledge of regulatory processes, particularly in environmental rulemaking
– Other skills not listed here
Spring Dates: Mar. 3 – May 25, 2014 (45 hrs/week; potential for a three-month extension)
Spring Location: Washington, DC
Summer Dates and Locations: TBD (expected to be announced by late February)
How to Apply
Applicants for the Spring Fellowship should fill out the Spring Fellow Application[docs.google.com]. Strong candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants interested in the summer fellowship, which will run from early June to mid-August and will have multiple locations around the country, should fill out our Summer Interest Form[docs.google.com].
Please contact us at ClimateActionLab@SustainUS.org with any questions. Applications for the Spring Fellowship are due Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST. Selected applicants will be notified by Feb. 17.
photo by USDA, image was altered http://www.flickr.com/photos/usdagov/12221665853/