Smart Phone Green Apps

These days, there’s an app for anything. Going green is no exception. Here are some apps that help people to make sustainable choices and earn rewards.

1. iRecycle – This app uses your current location to help the user find the nearest recycling location for over 350 materials. You can also use the app to share your recycling activity through social media. Get it free here
  2. JouleBug – This app is designed to help educate the user and encourage changing daily habits to be more sustainable. To use this app, the user inputs their sustainable habits and earns points. JouleBug links to your utilities account and shows how much money you save by going green. According to their site, the app can save an individual up to $200/year. Get it free here
  3. Carbon 3R – This app’s focus is reduction in carbon footprint. The user searches for a material, and the app tells whether it is recyclable, compostable, or destined for a landfill. It also offers sustainability tips and a green action plan. If you choose, it will create a newsfeed of green news headlines for you as well. Get it free here
  4. What’s On My Food? – This app provides a searchable database of pesticides used in food farming. The user can search labels they see on grocery items while shopping, and then the app gives information as to whether or not the pesticide is potentially harmful. Get it free here

For more apps to help you go green, check out the EPA’s list here: http://www.epa.gov/mygreenapps/existing_apps.html

Written by Melissa Kullman, class of 2014

13 Replies to “Smart Phone Green Apps”

1. It’s nice to see environmental consious applications to rise. We really need to use technology to nurture the right environmental habits to people

Thanks
    Josephine Bonitsi
    Owner in
    Josephine’s Homemade Cakes
    bakery in manchester
    726A Wilmslow Rd
    Didsbury, Manchester M20 2DW, United Kingdom
    07908780286

2. I’ve never come given a thought about such apps can even exist. Technology is growing way too fast, and is in the pinnacle of something great. Thanks for this article.

3. As Climate chance direct impacting our life, so this is the time to adopt eco-friendly things Go Green

Thanks a lot for sharing these apps that can help us all be a little kinder to the planet

4. Thank you so much for such an amazing guide on smartphones green apps.
    I am very much satisfied with this amazing website.
    I am bookmarking this site so that I can come back soon.
    Thanks

5. Hey Patricia, Thanks for this article. I was looking for smart phones green apps from a while now and finally I found this article luckily. Thanks again from the bottom of my heart. This is an awesome website. I will share it will my friends for sure.

6. Thank you so much for such an amazing guide on smart phone green apps. Carbon 3R is really good. This guide is really worth a read.
    I am going to share this with my followers, and I’m sure they’ll gonna love this too.
    Thanks again for such an amazing website.
    Hemant

7. Have you ever thought abouyt writing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?
    I have a log based upon on the same topics you discuss annd would
    love to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers
    would appreciate your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel frree to shoot me an email.

My web-site website