Graduate Community Assistants

What are Graduate Community Assistants?     

Graduate Community Assistants (GCA’s) are employed by the Office of Graduate & Family Housing at the University of Rochester. They work to support both a healthy and inclusive residential community here at Goler House. GCA’s serve our residents by promoting the integration of social, recreational, cultural and intellectual activities into the community.

We will announce these events through fliers, e-mails to the Goler House e-mail listserv, and posting them on our Facebook and blog pages. We ask you for your e-mail address so that your GCA staff and the ResLife office can keep in touch with you. If you have any questions or concerns about any policies, neighbors, etc., please feel free to contact one of us. We look forward to getting to know you during your time. Hope to see you at our next event!

The Office for Residential Life & Housing Services believes that building these connections and relationships will lead to your success as a resident and enhance your overall experience as a student. Each year we train graduate students – Graduate Community Assistants – to serve as live-in staff in their respected graduate housing areas. They assist us in reaching our shared goal of making valuable connections for our residents, and act as a resource to you during your time here.

Graduate Community Assistants, or, more commonly referred to as GCAs, are graduate students just like you. They build community by planning events, keep you informed about policies and important information, and welcome new neighbors. If you have not met your GCA, please reach out and say hello.

Meet your Goler House GCA’s

Timmy Li:

Hello everyone!  I am currently a fifth year PhD Student in Epidemiology at the University of Rochester and have lived at Goler since 2012.  Originally from New York City, I first came to Rochester as an undergraduate student. After graduating, I left the University for one year and came back to start my graduate studies in 2012.  When I am not busy working on research, you will often find me volunteering my time as an Emergency Medical Technician on ambulances in New York City or with the River Campus Medical Emergency Response Team.  I enjoy biking, cooking, and getting to know residents of Goler House.  Please contact me at:       Timmy_Li@urmc.rochester.edu if you have any questions or concerns about living at Goler.

Maghesree Chakraborty

Hello! I am a third year PhD student in the Department of Chemical Engineering. Goler House has been my home since the first day I came to the U.S.A from Kolkata, India. Rochester has not only provided me with a warm community to be a part of, but also offers a myriad of exciting things to experience (from Eastman School concerts to Lilac Festival). I enjoy visiting new places, meeting people, and savoring cuisines. Please feel free to contact me at mchakra2@ur.rochester.edu.

Chuka Ikpeze

Hi all! My name is Chuka, and I am a medical student who is excited about the opportunity to serve as a Graduate Community Assistant here at Goler. I will describe myself as laid back, yet very personable and outgoing. I have been in Rochester for several years and have grown accustomed to, and familiar with the city. I consider myself a worldly citizen and have traveled extensively, and I enjoy meeting people from different backgrounds and cultures. In my spare time, I enjoy traveling (you guessed it!), attending arts and musical events, and playing sports. I look forward to getting to know you all in the coming weeks and months. Please feel free to reach me at tikpeze@hotmail.com any with inquiries or concerns.

You are also invite you to get involved in one of the many ways within your community.

Are you interested in connecting with other graduate students? Are you are interested in pick-up games of volleyball or soccer (futbol), or just hanging out after a long day at the office? Do you have children and want to connect to other parents for activities, and meet other people for some social activities?

Joining our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/GolerHousegradhousing and checking out our blog: http://blogs.rochester.edu/golerhouse/ will keep you connected and help you to stay informed about the latest news and events in your area.

If you would like to be more involved, contribute to your community, and participate in planning events you can sign-up as an “Event Ambassador” – a volunteer position that lets you work closely with our GCA staff throughout the year planning events. Please email gdornsif@ur.rochester.edu if you are interested in this volunteer role in our community.

Goler House’s GCA Staff:

Timmy Li – GCA for Floors 1-5

Timmy_li@urmc.rochester.edu

Maghesree Chakraborty – GCA for Floors 6-9

Mchakra2@ur.rochester.edu

Chuka Ikpeze – GCA for Floors 10-13

Email: tikpeze@hotmail.com