Blog Post 2: To Kill a Mockingbird Closing Arguments

The task that the court has been given is to determine the innocence or guilt of Mr. Tom Robinson. Mr. Robinson is accused of raping Ms. Mayella Ewell. The evidence given in this trial should be enough for you gentlemen to acquit Mr. Robinson.

Look over at poor Mayella. She looks terrified. When she was giving her testimony she was shaking. How could you not feel pity for her? I feel pity for her. And that is the only crime that Mr. Robinson committed. He had the audacity to feel sorry for a white woman. He walked by her house every evening and saw her working hard to care for all of those children and he felt bad for her. She asked him if he could help her and he accepted. He kindly helped her break down the chiffarobe in her yard. Mr. Robinson is a kind compassionate young man who was doing his duty in society as a good young man. If it were any of you men who had been asked I am sure you would have done the same thing.

The arguments in this case against Mr. Robinson are based on circumstantial evidence alone. Mayella and Bob present us with two somewhat contradicting stories of what occurred that evening. However they were both accusing Mr. Robinson of rape. Mr. Robinson’s story contradicts the both of theirs and maintains his innocence. Honestly it is their word against his. That evening I was not there, the judge was not there, you twelve were not there, so how can any one of us make a judgment about what happened based off of the stories alone.

At this point I would say we should look at the physical evidence. However the state failed to report any medical evidence from the event. Mayella did walk away pretty beat up, however it was clear that her injuries came from someone who had ample use of both of their arms, which we learned Mr. Robinson does not. The accident with the cotton gin in his past has rendered his left arm almost totally useless. The only physical evidence that we have in this case should leave you with utter doubts about Mr. Robinson’s physical ability to carry out the heinous act that they are accusing him of.

Your role as a juror is to look at the evidence presented to you in this trial and decide if Mr. Robinson is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Whether you believe Mayella and Bob’s stories or not, there is no way you can look me in the eye and tell me that you do not have some doubts as to whether or not Mr. Robinson could have physically carried out this attack. That doubt is what I would say is more than enough evidence to require an innocent verdict.

Maycomb County is a place that I call home. It is the place where I have chosen to raise my two children. I believe it to be a beautiful place made up of reasonable men like you. I so deeply believe in the ability of the justice system to do what is right. I believe in you twelve men to acquit Mr. Robinson.

Works Cited:

To Kill a Mockingbird. Dir. Robert Mulligan. By Horton Foote. Perf. Gregory Peck, Mary Badham, and Phillip Alford. Universal-International, 1962. Online. Netflix. Web. 10 Sept. 2016.

5 thoughts on “Blog Post 2: To Kill a Mockingbird Closing Arguments

1. The rhetorical appeal that I noticed most in this post is one to logos. You used it to tell the jurors to “look at the physical evidence” and went on to say there was no medical evidence. You then described Mayella’s injuries and explained why Tom Robinson could not have caused them. I believe that one of your most compelling appeals to logos is when you tell the jury what their role is. You also utilized ethos very well in your last paragraph when you talked about your life in Maycomb county. Not knowing the extent of the racism in people at this time, it is hard to tell if any argument is enough to sway a juror. This argument is very logical and any non biased jury would acquit Tom Robinson. I think it may be enough to cause some doubt in me if I were a white, Southern male juror in the 1950’s, leading me to acquit Tom Robinson.

2. The unforgettable novel. After reading it understand that most people have empathy, which is different from sympathy. You must have lived the exact experience to feel sympathy, but humans with consciences can feel empathy without having lived it. even after I read the article on this topic https://freebooksummary.com/racism-in-to-kill-a-mockingbird-3-540 , I thought about racism in this book since when I read the book I did not pay attention