Blog Assignment 2: Closing Statement

At this moment, gentlemen of the jury, I ask you to understand the evidence as presented to you. This courthouse is filled to the brim of judging eyes, yes, but do not let this alarm you. Do not see this case as two white people’s words against a black man. Do not see this case as a calling for social reform. Do not dwell on the color of my defendant’s skin, the social class he was born into. The evidence, in its purest form, shows that a woman was assaulted. Violently, for that matter. It is only a question of who, the evidence presented today has made it quite obvious.

Bob Ewell, testified that the attacker predominantly led with the left hand. His observation of the choke marks, bruises, and other signs of violence blatantly show this. Rather uncommon, yes, which makes it so important. It is generally inferred that there are less people that are left hand dominant than right hand. Wonderful. Now, when prompted to write a simple request on my notebook here, Mr. Ewell wrote with his left. Quite neatly, too. But that’s not all. Mr. Ewell is not known to be sober often. Mayella Ewell unfortunately knows this too well as she is often the receiving end of this drunken rage. I ask you to think about this. Examine and connect the evidence that is here alone.

My defendant, Mr. Tom Robison, is in fact the victim of this scenario. No not Mayella Ewell as you might have imagined. Everyday, Mr. Robinson walks past the Ewell’s home. And more often than not, there is a task asked of him. To be a good neighbor, he decides to help Ms. Mayella break down a chifferobe, cut the firewood, mend some . Mr. Robinson only was trying to help as a sensible young man would. Yet when he tried to aid Ms. Ewell, he was yanked from the very chair he was standing on. Then kissed. Not two seconds after Tom Robinson was sprinting out the door.

How can he be at fault for something he never stayed to commit? But this is not the only compelling evidence. My defendant cannot use any motor function in his left hand. The very hand that claimed to beat and strangle Mayella Ewell. All motor control was taken from him when his arm was swallowed up by a machine. If he cannot catch a lightweight object? How is he to strangle and beat a young white woman?

Gentlemen of the jury, I ask you to consider this evidence. Apply it to the situation. Observe it with colorblindness and an open mind. For god’s sake this is America. Land of the free. Home of the brave. My client is brave. To help a white woman as a black man is a dangerous task. But set my client free. Serve your country by letting the guilty be punished. Let the real culprit of this awful act of violence feel the force of the justice system.

7 thoughts on “Blog Assignment 2: Closing Statement

1. This post relied almost exclusively on logos to persuade the jury. The second paragraph summarizes in detail the evidence which was revealed in cross examination, and neatly lays out the case for Tom to be set free. I think this does a good job of appealing to logic in that it counters all the physical evidence that Mayella Ewell had in the form of injuries and bruises. The author is trying to make it impossible for the jury to legitimately believe that Tom committed the crime, and I believe he does this.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that the court would release Tom based on this closing statement. It clearly shows that Tom did not commit the crime, and if it were me on a jury today, I’m sure that I would vote that Tom Robinson was not guilty. But I don’t think that the jury in the movie actually believed that Tom committed the crime. It was made quite clear that they couldn’t possibly believe he did so. But they convicted him regardless because they could not upset the social standard of white supremacy. They could not, in their community, stand up and say that the white Ewell’s were lying in favor of the black Tom Robinson telling the truth. The only effective way, to me at least, would be to make it so that convicting him would result in more shame than not. In this way, it would make it so that the jury would not fear for their own social favor amongst the community, and could defend their decision with facts and moral sentiments.