Blog #2- To Kill a Mockingbird Atticus Finch Closing Statement

Gentleman, I stand before you today to make a point that has already has been made clear to you throughout the entirety of this trial; Tom Robinson is innocent and did not rape Mayella Ewell. This trial show never have even occurred because the plaintiffs did not supply the jury with any evidence suggesting that Tom Robinson could have been a culprit of beating and raping Mayella Ewell. Additionally, there is nothing in Tom Robinson’s trial that can be disputed while the testimony given by the Ewells was contradictory and was very uncertain. While it may not be socially accepted to treat the honest testimony of a black man at least equal to the clearly faulty and contradictory testimony given by Mayella and Bob Ewell, this is what needs to be done to bring justice back to the defendant’s life. According to the plaintiff’s testimony, Mayella Ewell was brutally beaten primarily on her right side and considering Mrs. Ewell stated that she was looking directly at the perpetrator when she was being attacked, the culprit must have led with his left hand, something that Tom Robinson is physically unable to do. While I do believe Mayella was brutally beaten, and there is evidence of this, the culprit could not have been Tom Robinson, but rather another man sitting before us. Tom Robinson is a humble and gentle man that did so much as to feel sorry for a white woman and as a result, he is being accused of committing a crime that is unspeakable for a man that constantly went out of his way to help a white woman. While the subject of rape is very touchy and I do not want to put blame on Mayella Ewell, I cannot go so far as allowing her and Mr. Ewell to lie about the victim, something they solemnly swore not to do. I cannot acquit Mayella of lying simply because she does not want to deal with the fact that she kissed a black man. Unfortunately, she has been placed in a society where it is unacceptable for a white woman to kiss a black man. It should be encouraged or at least acceptable for someone to kiss whoever he or she wants regardless of skin color so Tom Ferguson should not need to be blamed for committing a crime to cover for someone else’s insecurity. As of now, Tom Ferguson has been put in a spot where he cannot win unless a jury who can treat all people equal agrees to acquit Tom Ferguson of a crime that he could not have done if he wanted to. Fortunately we have just that jury in front of us so for justice’s sake, acquit Tom Ferguson. The only possible way for Tom Ferguson to get convicted is if you, the jury, completely reject the testimony that has been given to you so I implore you to do your duty and return order and justice to your community and to Tom Robinson’s life.

Works Cited

To Kill a Mockingbird. Dir. Robert Mulligan. By Horton Foote. Perf. Gregory Peck, Mary Badham, and Phillip Alford. Universal-International, 1962. Web (Netflix). 13 Sept. 2016.

9 thoughts on “Blog #2- To Kill a Mockingbird Atticus Finch Closing Statement

1. Tim, I see that you have taken the rhetorical appeal to logos approach, for you heavily stress the importance of factual evidence (and lack thereof) in this case. I think it is interesting that you chose to do this. Maybe you feel as though no one can just flat out ignore the facts, therefore, Tom Robinson (not Ferguson…) would obviously be acquitted. However, we saw in Atticus’s original argument that with all the evidence presented, Tom was still found guilty. I personally felt like this jury in particular needed an appeal to both pathos and ethos, rather than logos, because the community values at the time were to place emphasis on irrational thoughts (such as “he is black, so he is automatically a liar”). If they already have no trouble placing such emphasis on the idea that all black people are liars, then they should not have trouble basing a courtroom decision over their emotion, no matter how wrong you and I may find that.

Now, if I were a juror in that courtroom hearing your argument, it would be difficult both to be the brave one who argues that emphasis be placed on the facts, regardless of persons involved, and also to do the opposite and convict an innocent man for the sake of fitting in with the community. Group think is so real and it is much easier for me to go along with the 99% of the community than step out and join the 1%, even if I think they are right. Instead of being inspired by Atticus, I would possibly even find him foolish. This argument makes sense, I cannot deny that, but I do not think I would be able to acquit Tom. If Mayella Ewell herself stood behind her lies, in fear of repercussion, I would probably choose to stand behind my decision to find Tom guilty for the same reason. Atticus is a very brave man, but this argument, maybe any argument at that matter, would not give me enough confidence to change the world and do what is right.

2. Anyway. Mockingbird is one of my very fav books because of the striking character of each person in the book. These are people that I really wish existed…people that I learned from even though they are fictional. They are so very real to me. I wish more people were like Atticus Finch because he has had the integrity of ten men in both word and deed. I was amazed by his quotes and statements, I will not describe everything, you can sweep them in this article https://freebooksummary.com/quotes-about-atticus-finch-82804 My fav revelations of Atticus’ character are his conversations with Scout, particularly right after Walter Cunningham comes to lunch and she gets sent away from the table. He consoles her on the porch and talks her into going back to school…it illustrates his commitment to education, and the way he talks to her, shows that he respects her and loves her. He also demonstrates his ability to negotiate and mediate conflict. Atticus also discusses poverty with Scout when he explains the hickory nuts and Mr Cunningham’s entailment. He does so in a way that doesn’t make the farmer look bad and later she remembers that Mr Cunningham is her family’s friend