WILSON COMMONS BANNER POLICIES
Hanging banners from public spaces in Wilson Commons can be effective publicity for student group and University organizations. The following policies are provided to facilitate all organizations making/hanging banners in Wilson Commons.
- To reserve a banner space in Wilson Commons, please submit a Wilson Commons Reservation Request form (green from) to the Reservation Coordinator, Saundra Peters, as far in advance as possible (two weeks is recommended). The form is available in 201 Wilson Commons. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-serve basis. Groups are not guaranteed banner space.
- Groups can have pre-made banners hung or they can paint a banner in Wilson Commons. Eight banner spaces are available on a regular basis only on the Havens Lounge Bridge. Wilson Commons Student Activities reserves the right to determine the placement of banners in all designated locations. At staff discretion, additional space may be used for hanging banners.
- Important! A banner reservation lasts up to 8 days per group/per event. To ensure equal and fair access to hang banners, groups cannot schedule consecutive banner reservation periods. At the conclusion of the reservation period, banners must be picked-up by the reserving group within one week. Wilson Commons Student Activities is not responsible for banners after the reservation has expired.
- Banners are to be no wider than 5 feet across and no more than 8 feet long. Banners are typically hung using 3 holes in the top of the banner. Wilson Commons Student Activities can supply twine for hanging banners.
- Banners can be painted/made in Wilson Commons by reserving the designated area in the Hirst Lounge after 8pm (if available on the day requested). Please submit a Wilson Commons Reservation Request form (green from) to the Reservation Coordinator, Saundra Peters.
- Plastic sheets must be used underneath the banner materials to avoid paint spill and staining on the brick. Plastic sheets can be provided by Wilson Commons Student Activities at the Common Connection, 201 Wilson Commons. Only water soluble paints/materials can be used. Spray paints, oil-based paints, and permanent markers cannot be used.
- Student organizations are responsible for the clean up and re-set of the area used for making banners. If additional clean up is required, the student organization responsible may incur charges. Please do not use bathrooms for clean up. See the Wilson Commons’ Building Manager for appropriate brush cleaning locations.
- Organizations are not permitted to hang their own banners. Pre-made or finished, dry banners can be brought to 201 Wilson Commons. Once dropped off, banners will be hung by Wilson Commons staff within 24 hours of your reservation’s start time.
- For questions or clarifications on banner policies, please contact the staff in Wilson Commons Student Activities.