We invite undergraduates at the University of Rochester to apply to be a part of the 2014 Rocxxy: Summer Internship in Feminist Leadership and Activism! With new internship sites, rich readings and discussions, historic field trips, service projects, on-campus housing, and much more, this internship opportunity is unlike any other in the area. Apply today! Applications are due Friday April 11, 2014.
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION PACKET HERE
Rocxxy (pronounced “Roxie”) is an 8-week summer program for undergraduate students coordinated by the Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender and Women’s Studies at the University of Rochester. The program combines a professional internship experience with guest speakers, field trips to historic sites, and readings and reflections on feminist activism and leadership. This combination of academic, experiential, and professional experiences is meant to inspire and equip students to become stronger, more prepared leaders for social change.
A cohort of eight students will work for 20-25 hours per week for the 8-week summer semester, May 19th-July 13th. Internships will be held at several Rochester nonprofits that offer services based on feminist activism and leadership. Students will meet multiple times per week to participate in a speaker series event or to go on a field trip to a historic site. Students will also meet to reflect on experiences. At the end of the summer, students will be required to submit a journal that reflects their overall experiences in the community and in the cohort. Students will receive housing on campus but will not receive credit or pay for the internship. Students will have the option of doing an independent study based on their internship in the following fall semester with a faculty member of their choosing.
2014 Internship sites include:
- Planned Parenthood of Western and Central New York – Department of Community Affairs
- The Genesee Valley Chapter of the New York Civil Liberties Union
- Alternatives for Battered Women
- Girls Rock! Rochester Summer Camp
- The Susan B. Anthony Center for Women’s Leadership
- Mocha Center
- The Gay Alliance of Genesee Valley
- Young Women’s College Prep Charter School
2014 Historic field trips include:
- Seneca Falls, NY: Women’s Rights National Historic Park
- Rochester, NY: The Susan B. Anthony Museum and House
- Auburn, NY: The Harriet Tubman House
- Fayetteville, NY: The Matilda Joslyn Gage House
Contact SBAI Program Manager Angela Clark-Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!